Palliative Care Consultants Decrease Costs and Increase Patient Satisfaction
The goal of palliative care is to prevent and relieve suffering, and to support the best possible quality of life for patients and their families, regardless of their stage of disease or the need for other therapies, in accordance with their values and preferences. Palliative care is both a philosophy of care and an organized, highly structured system for delivering care. Palliative care expands traditional disease model medical treatments to include the goals of enhancing quality of life for patient and family, optimizing function, helping with decision making, and providing opportunities for personal growth. As such, it can be delivered concurrently with life prolonging care or as the main focus of care.
( Clinical Practice Guidelines for Quality Palliative Care, National Consensus Project)
Always Think Comfort Palliative Care Consultants:
- Help to control fatigue, anxiety, breathlessness, nausea, depression, constipation, and other symptoms that cause distress. At Always Think Comfort we relieve many symptoms using natural therapies such as aromatherapy, relaxation, distraction, and imagery.
- Help patients and their families to discuss goals of care and treatment plans. This communication results in smooth coordination of care between settings and improves patient satisfaction.
- Educate patients and families of risk/benefits of treatment helping them to make difficult decisions and to complete end of life care planning.
- Decrease the number of unplanned hospitalizations for the patients in the long term care and assisted living facilities.
- Significantly reduce pain scores and improve patient satisfaction in the area of pain management.
Patients want communication about their care
As patients live with advanced illness, they need help navigating the medical system.
- Palliative care is always delivered in a team approach where the services of medicine, nursing, clergy, social work, and others are coordinated through team meetings.
- We conduct family meetings that provide guidance as patients move through the health care system and we help patients make decisions that are right for them.
- We coordinate with other agencies to make sure the patient has access to the best and most appropriate services available.
Patients want support for caregivers
Chronically ill patients are anxious to reduce burdens on their loved ones and want help involving their family in care decisions. Patients want practical support. At Always Think Comfort, we believe that education is the key to empowering family members and patients to cope with the stress a long standing illness and multiple hospitalizations often bring.
Patients want a sense of safety in the health care system
Recent surveys show concern among patients about the possibility of medical errors due to the lack of coordinated care services. Palliative care patients, on the other hand, report feeling their care is closely monitored and well communicated.
At Always Think Comfort, we provide safe care in the following ways:
- We partner with families and facilities to enhance patient safety in all we do.
- We use the start low and go slow model when starting new medications.
- We use natural therapies whenever possible, that have been proven safe and effective to reduce the risk of medication side effects and medication errors.
What are the overall benefits of Receiving Palliative Care
- Decreased medical complications
- Decreased hospital admissions
- Decreased pain and suffering
- Increased patient satisfaction
Sometimes patients need hospice
When the family and patient decide that the quality of life is no longer acceptable and would like to discuss the possibility of hospice services, our advanced practice nurses will work with you to transition to that service.
If you would like to discuss our palliative care consulting service and discover how our services can benefit your loved one, your clients, or your facility, please feel free to contact us at (908) 369-6823.